The South River Federation works closely with the regulatory agencies in the watershed (i.e. Anne Arundel County Department of Inspections and Permitting, MD Department of the Environment, and MD Department of Natural Resources) to keep sediment-laden water out of the river and to prevent inappropriate clearing within the Critical Area (within 1,000 feet of tidewater). If you are uncomfortable contacting the agencies below yourself, or you would like clarification on something you think may be a violation of the laws protecting the river, please contact the South Riverkeeper at the South River Federation office: 410-224-3802.
- Questions about dredging, clearing in wetlands: Maryland Department of the Environment Water Management Administration Compliance Program: 410-537-3510
- Report fish kills, lesions: Department of Natural Resources’ Fish Health Hotline: 888-584-3110
- Report oil or chemical spills: MDE Environmental Emergency Hotline: 866-633-4686
- Questions about tree clearing, sediment runoff, illegal building, AA County Critical Area Hotline: 410-222-7777
- Concerns about anything unusual in South River Watershed, South River Federation office: 410-224-3802
- Call before you cut vegetation in the Critical Area!: 410-222-7441
- SOUTH RIVERKEEPER® Diana Muller: 443-534-2847
Become a "Mudbuster":
- Download a "Mudbuster" Form to send to the South Riverkeeper.
- Download the technical specifications for common sediment and erosion control "best management practices (BMPs)."
- Maryland Department of the Environment - 1994 Maryland Specifications for Soil Erosion and Sediment Control